From furniture to curtains and blinds
Russells has a long history of crafting curtains for Kiwis.
George P Russell founded the company in Nelson in 1929. It was furniture business back then, located in Bridge Street, Nelson.
The Russells were prominent members of the Nelson community. George Russell and his son, Stan Russell served on the city council. Stan was mayor of Nelson from 1956 to 1962.
In 1970s, the Russells expanded their business to incorporate a dedicated drapery department. It grew rapidly and became a business in its own right. Russells was one of the first mobile curtain showroom companies in the country, being fully mobile by the mid-1980s.
All about curtains
Shops were opened in Blenheim and Richmond and in 1991 Russells won the Nelson Chamber of Commerce retail excellence award. By the mid-1990s, the business had expanded to Christchurch.
Current owner-operators Bill and Jenny Liddell draw on the long tradition of innovation, quality and service that four generations of the Russell family established. Russells employs 81 staff throughout the country with the head office and workshop based in Nelson.